Tuesday, May 15, 2007

60 Minutes


On Sunday, 60 Minutes, Leslie Stahl did a story on Redfin, the on-line Real Estate company and their effect on traditional Realtors. If you missed it, you can go to CBS by clicking here to watch the story on line.
The world of Real Estate will change,. It has been changing. The internet has made knowledge much more freely available, and I think this is how it should be. Attempts by the NAR and others to try and keep knowledge private will prove to be a vain endeavor, and, I think, a foolish one. You cannot put the genie back in the bottle. The wiser position to take is to accept change, and evolve with the changes that are sure to come
More than ever the way the traditional Realtor can differentiate himself or herself from the on-line broker is with fine tuned, customized service to each of our clients. I put in a lot of time getting to know the clients who work with me, what their motivations are, what they hope for when they are buying or selling a home, and I make sure that it fits into their overall financial plans. I am a resource for lenders, gardeners, painters, plumbers, handymen and carpenters. I am a consultant who is always available to them to discuss my clients' concerns.
I pride myself on the work I do with my buyers. I often work with first time home buyers, and I make sure that they understand the process and its many pitfalls. I truly hear both their fears and their dreams, and I hold their hands through what can seem like a daunting process, especially for the first time buyer.
When we are looking for a home, I internalize what they want in their new property so that I always have that in mind when I am in the market looking at properties new to the market.
Again, for me, it has always been about a high level of service for all my clients.
There will always be room in the market for those looking for the fee approach to Real Estate that is Redfin's model, and for those looking for the services of a full service agent like me. And, if the market demands that I change my business model to fit the market, I will never be so arrogant that I will not bend as needed for the service of my clients.